Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He, all of a sudden has red eyes, lethargy, dry nose and is…

Customer Question
He, all of a...

He, all of a sudden has red eyes, lethargy, dry nose and is sleeping in the bathroom when he usually never leaves my side.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Roddy, he;s four years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roddy?

He had a couple of pieces of poop come out without his control after a walk tonight.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Roddy is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and the other symptoms you describe makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Roddy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you, ***** ***** do that.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Roddy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect high temperature ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

He acted very strangely and was up a lot over night, however, he seemed to steadily improve during the day. He now seems his usual self. I'm beginning to suspect he ingested something hazardous that made him temporarily ill. He likes to drink out of the toilet and I cleaned them yesterday. Perhaps some product was left behind or something else.Thank you very much for the check in.

That all makes sense, so glad he is back to his normal self now ...

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian