Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have a toy poodle who is almost a year old and she has

Hi, we have a toy poodle who is almost a year old and she has developed a patch on her head that is dried and crusty with little black specks at the base of the skin she had one a few months ago on her neck, we were able to pull it away with some soap and water after it sort of separated from the skin it was pink underneath but the hair grew back she got another one about a month ago on the top of her head, we got it out by using antifungal cream and soap and water to pull the black tiny things off the skin and hair
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pidge she now got one back that is bigger and more stubborn it does not itch
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I am not sure I am following you we aren't putting medication on her

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Here is a photo
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Another one
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Wrong one last time

Hello again,

Now looking at the photos, this actually looks like a well adhered scab type material. Usually we see this secondary to skin self-trauma (from scratching) or when they catch the skin on something. So, I'd not be overly worried here. We don't need to pick that off as it will have healing skin underneath but we can plan to keep it clean to avoid any infections starting underneath. For that, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation/irritation (use if needed, it sounds like Pidge may not need it at this point). And usually they will heal, the scab material will start to flake off and we can then gently remove it if need be. But again this isn't a worry just a sign of recent superficial skin damage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
What would explain it coming back and she is not itching it? Also those tiny black dots that seem to make up the base of the scab? It seems you have ruled out mange of any type. This is her third episode of this and she doesn't scratch these areas at all

Hi again,

I would remove mange from our differential list since it is severely itchy when they have it and that doesn't sound the cause here. Otherwise, it not being bacterial, parasitic, or fungal is likely why she isn't itching it. They only tend to do so if there is a pathological reason. And the black material likely is the scab breakdown from underneath, else we'd have to consider flea dirt or yeast but they both would be less likely as well. Finally, even if she isn't itching it, she can still catch and abrade the skin. Common means of doing so is running through grass, catching themselves on plants or even rubbing themselves on the carpet. So, its just usually a part of their skin being in contact with things as a normal part of life as opposed to anything pathological.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks Dr B that helps, she is a very active puppy, and her coat also gets matted since she is not quite a year old, despite regular grooming

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************