Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's 6 weeks old. Had shots yesterday. Not eating like she…

Customer Question
She's 6 weeks old...

She's 6 weeks old. Had shots yesterday. Not eating like she has been and started dry heaving

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Mazzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mazzy?

She's a Pomeranian

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Mazzy is unwell, hopefully this is not so serious but I have worked out an answer for you below.

I do wonder if what you are seeing is a minor vaccine reaction related to the puppy shots your dog recently had. The situation is that vaccine reactions can and do occur but of course I cannot accurately advise on individual cases over the internet so if you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your dog over without delay, having said that I can tell you the following :

Basically there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions : These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your dog will be in extremis or collapsed. I doubt if this is happening in your dog's case.

2. Mild reactions : These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four of five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus sometimes lethargy and vomiting. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves but on balance the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

As I said it seems likely to me under the circumstances that Mazzy may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnosis are possible. If this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep her eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there can be no guarantees my experience is that the majority of these dogs slowly return to normal over a couple of days without any special treatment.

Of course if your dog deteriorates further or you become more concerned you should have her checked over by your local vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Mazzy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Mazzy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect vaccine reaction ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian