Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Female 14 yr old golden. Today turning her head from any…

Customer Question
Female 14 yr old...

Female 14 yr old golden. Today turning her head from any food, has regurgitated several times during the day, unstable, falling shaking in hind legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Golden eat anything unusual?

No I have been feeding her Costco rotisserie chickens lately

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Golden's name?

Barkley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barkley?

No we realize she is up in years, has lots of "old dog war

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I am sorry Barkley is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything?

2- Is she regurgitating food?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Prior to this happening did she have problems with her back legs?

5- How much does she weigh?

6- Any abdominal swelling?

1. No
2. Yes now just yellow mucus
3. Not in particular. Had OCD both shoulders 1.5 yrs surgically corrected
4 no, as she gets older we see some trouble with stairs. Has lost hearing, has developed cataracts. Always has good appetite.
68-70 lbs
None noted.

No need to accept a phone call request. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that she is older we really need to rule out a systemic disease like kidney or liver disorders, tumors, etc.

Her being weak in her back legs certainly can be related to arthritis, weak from being ill or a combination of both.

In this case, unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test. If possible, I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian