Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

5 lb dochsie mix has transitional cell carcinoma, and she…

Customer Question
5 lb dochsie mix...

5 lb dochsie mix has transitional cell carcinoma, and she seems to be reaching her last days. She was energetic and eating normally until the last two days. Now she is drinking water, but won't take food. We don't think she is able to pee now at all. She wanders around and seems to be in pain. We think that it is her time, but she is terrified of the vet, and we'd like to give her medicine for pain and perhaps to help her go peacefully.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Kugel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kugel?

She is 14 years old,

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr G and I would like to help you out with Kugel. I'm Sorry that she is doing so poorly and it is maybe her time.
I understand that she is scared, but there absolutely is nothing you can give her at home to help her go peacefully. The euthanasia solution and anesthetic agents that the vet uses do a very good job of helping with a peaceful passing, but they need to be given IV or by injection in the office to work.
However, I do have a couple of other suggestions that may help make things easier.
1) Find a house call vet to come to you and do the euthanasia in your home. Lap of Love is a national chain that does just hospice and housecall euthanasia. But there are others too if you search in your area for "house call vet"
2) Ask your vet for a oral sedative to give your dog at home. This would be a pill to,just relax her so that you bring her to the vet easier and make her less scared
3) Wrap her in warm blankets or put her in a carrier or basket, cuddle her in your shirt, talk softly to her. You can even sit out in the car and have another family member check her in and allow the staff to get ready for her and get set up to lessen her stress. Many vets even allow you to come in a back door to avoid more noise and hubbub.
4) Use a Thundershirt to help her be calm if you have one. Try a safe calming product like Bach's Rescue Remedy.I'm sorry your friend is scared and I know this will not be easy. However, involving a vet to do the euthanasia will really be best for her and cause her less pain and go most smoothly.Does this answer your question? Can I help you out at all any further?
If I have fully answered your question, please give me a rating.
If not, please let me know how I can help you.
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this with your pup.