Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I have a female 18 month old Labradoodle that has diarrhea,

I have a female 18 month old Labradoodle that has diarrhea, is very bloated and no energy. My vet has taken x-rays, put her on a chicken & rice diet and gave me Metronidazole (250 mg) twice daily and Enrofloxacin (136 mg) once a day - both meds for 20 days. My dog is not getting any better. We are waiting on a stool sample result. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: She has been sick for over a month and has lost 3.5 pounds. She only weighed 25 pounds to start.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Have they done any bloodwork on Lucy?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Everything was normal except she was low in protein and they thought that was from the diarrhea

Okay thanks for the additional information. Looks like your veterinarian has done an extensive workup on Lucy. Since she is still not improving, probably the next step would be an ultrasound of the abdomen to see if anything else is going on. One issue that can cause this is an unusual case of inflammatory bowel disease. That is tricky to diagnosis and often involves an invasive technique to get an answer.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I live in a small town and my vet said if they don't see anything in the bowel sample that I will need to take her to a specialist 80 miles away. This has been very expensive already. I guess I will need to take her.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
If she does have inflammatory bowel disease is it treatable?

Yes if it is inflammatory bowel disease it can be treated. Usually it requires some type of steroid therapy and a special diet. In some dogs they can be weaned of of the steroid therapy just depending on how severe it is

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay. Thank you.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne