Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

SALKIN: I sold a tiny puppy to a couple. I told them to

Hi Dr. SALKIN:
I sold a tiny puppy to a couple. I told them to watch for hypoglycemia and to give her corn syrup 3x a day or Nutrical (which I provide).
The puppy didn't eat one night, she forgot to give her Nutrical as a replacement for the food.
The room was cold, according to her.
Well, they woke up the next morning, puppy not breathing. Gave her CPR, took her to the Vet. The Vet said it was hypoglycemia, temp of 95!!!
After 2 days in hospital, puppy is having seizures. They are keeping her until puppy stabilizes.
Do you think this puppy will recover and what are the chances.
I had no problem with this puppy at all. I explain in detail and give them handouts on what to do. Sheesh!

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi, Marie,

A full recovery is expected unless seizure activity were severe enough to cause permanent brain damage or prolonged hypoglycemia caused brain death. Please note that corn syrup isn't the best choice for these pups. A pure sucrose-containing syrup such as Karo is best and dosed at 1 mL per pound of body weight at 2 hour intervals until the pup normalizes.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Sorry, I meant Karo light corn syrup.
MAYBE I should give them Karo instead of Nutrical to take home. What do you think.
But how much should I tell them to give the pup under normal circumstances as a precaution. Not if it's having an episode.
The Vet took the puppy home with her to keep an eye on her.

Yes, that would be best. Regular corn syrup is 100% glucose (sucrose) which works more quickly than other sugars. Under "normal" circumstances there's no reason to give glucose. All that would do is tell their liver not to release sugar into the blood stream which could make a pup more likely to become hypoglycemic.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok. One more. For instance, the puppy did not eat that night, what should they give her as a replacement then?

A gruel of it's normal puppy food given with an eyedropper or small poultry baster placed between its cheek teeth and cheek and such feedings should be continued every 4-6 hours until the pup becomes appetent once again.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Great! I will follow this advice. Thanks again go have some fun.

Thank you once again!