Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Main thing is soft almost watery poop. Aussie Shepard mix…

Customer Question
Main thing is soft...

Main thing is soft almost watery poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Aussie Shepard mix with lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Not over 7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Shepherd's name?

Josie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Josie?

She’s an abandoned stray I’ve adopted and had her for 3 weeks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She’s just getting over an eye infection
The stool color for the first time was a light green with white abd the second time was orangeish this was in about 2-3 hr period
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you through this situation.

I am sorry to hear about Josie. I am working on a response right now and will be back with you shortly.

I know that just just adopted her was she recently examined by a veterinarian?

Did she have a recent fecal sample checked for intestinal parasites or is she on a dewormer/flea medication?

Is she eating and drinking and active or is she pretty depressed and lethargic?

I apologize for all the questions, just helps me with working through the problem.

Is she on one type of food or getting many different types of treats etc?

Are you worried that she could have got into something at your or around your home?

She was checked and came back clean prior to adoption as well as was deemed healthy with the exception of an eye infection a week ago. She is on purine complete dog chow
She’s active 6-8 hrs a day abd eating properly. Could it be stress induced due to change in environment

In a dog her age, I always try to think of things that the pet could have ingested, whether it be a new treat, change in food, garbage, toy, etc. We don't worry about metabolic diseases such as liver, kidney disease etc as much in a young pet. And yes it absolutely could be stress induced given all of the changes. Also, if she was initially on a different diet and then you put her on the dog chow, that could be a cause as well. Some dogs are very sensitive to diet changes and specifically protein changes. So some dogs are great on chicken but get gas and diarrhea from beef. It is always best to keep a pets diet as simple as possible. Stick with one protein source that you know that she does well on and don't mix it up a lot. There are so many limited ingredient grain free diets out there that may be helpful.

The color of the stool may or may not mean anything depending on what she is eating.

A few things to try at home:

1. Only feed her diet or bland, easily digestible foods like chicken, rice, yogurt, etc. that is as long as she doesn't have a sensitivity or allergy to any of these things. Do not give her extra treats or other things that might continue to upset her stomach.

2. Original Metamucil- This is a great fiber source that can really help with colitis. It can help to firm up the stool and it is easy to mix a little with her food. Based on her breed, you can give her 1 tbsp twice daily. Don't give extra as this can have the opposite effect and cause diarrhea again.

3. Fluids- Add extra water to her food. Often if a pet has been sick and has been vomiting and had diarrhea, they will get dehydrated quickly, so it is easy to just add a little water to her food.

I would recommend a fecal sample checking for intestinal parasites if she has never been checked especially if she is not on a monthly flea prevention with a dewormer.

If she has an upset stomach, you can always try to give her some Pepcid AC ( Famotidine). You can just pick this up at any pharmacy. Do you know her weight?

This might help to calm her stomach so that she will be interested in eating better and can calm the stomach and intestinal tract down. You can also try to offer her low sodium chicken broth mixed with water.

If she continues to feel bad and is not eating or drinking, then she may need some more tests and stronger medications to treat the stomach upset and diarrhea.

Young dogs are pretty resilient so if she is not bouncing back to her normal self, I would recommend that she goes back in for further evaluation. Your vet may decide to get her some antibiotics for the diarrhea and a prescription GI food.

Yeah I think it’s the beef mix then that makes 100% sense , I’ll switch to a more simple chicken based food for her and if it continues over 24hrs I’ll get her in immediately

Give it a try. Always best to simplify. If her stool is really that watery, do not be afraid to implement the metamucil. The fiber can really make a difference. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. It is great that she is still so active and happy.

If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating you can continue to contact me for up to a week with any questions or concerns.

Have a great day.

Take Care,

Dr. Nicole

Any additional questions that I can help you with today?

I just wanted to check in and see how things were going. I also forgot to mention that you can definitely add in a probiotic. This might help to get the stool formed more quickly as well.

Hope things are going better.

Have a good night.

Dr. N

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian