Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He weighs about 13 lbs is a coton. He has had

Customer Question
He weighs about 13...

He weighs about 13 lbs is a coton. He has had diarrhea(bloody) and vomiting, just once this morning, but 3 times yesterday. I am giving him water by syringe every 30 mins 3cc. He has had 5 small bowel movements today and 4 yesterday. I have given him a small dose of Lomotil. What do we do now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

My sister gave him eggs yesterday morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Orville 13yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Orville?

13yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Orville?

No, he is healthy usually. He had this once before when he was 4yrs.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I am going to try to help you through this situation. I am so sorry to here that Orville is feeling so bad. I am working on a response right now.

So at Orville's age there are other things that can cause the vomiting and diarrhea that could be unrelated to eating. Of course it is always good to try to think of any new treats or foods that he got that could have caused the problem.

If there really wasn't anything that significant or different that he ingested, then we have to think about internal causes, especially since he is 13 years old. Other conditions like kidney disease, liver disease, pancreatitis, cancers etc can cause an older dog to be very sick. Now that is not to worry you, its just to give you a heads up if Orville is not improving. IF you can not think of anything that he got into and nothing that has changed around the home then here are a few things to try before taking in to your vet.

A few things to try at home:

1. Only feed his diet or bland, easily digestible foods like chicken, rice, yogurt, etc. that is along as he doesn't have a sensitivity or allergy to any of these things. Do not give him extra treats or other things that might continue to upset his stomach.

2. Original Metamucil ( not the flavored)- This is a great fiber source that can really help with colitis. It can help to firm up the stool and it is easy to mix a little with his food. Since he is a rather small dog, then you could do 1 tsp twice daily. Don't give extra as this can have the opposite effect and cause diarrhea again.

3. Fluids- Add extra water to his food. Often if a pet has been sick and has been vomiting and had diarrhea, they will get dehydrated quickly, so it is easy to just add a little water to his food.

As far as not eating and vomiting... since he has an upset stomach, you can always try to give him some Pepcid AC ( Famotidine). You can just pick this up at any pharmacy. He could get 5 mg twice daily .

This might help to calm his stomach so that he will be interested in eating again. You can also try to offer her low sodium chicken broth mixed with water.

If he continues to feel bad and is not eating or drinking, then I would strongly recommend an exam with at least some blood work to ensure that everything else if okay with him. They may also recommend some x-rays if he is not improving. You vet will then be able to give stronger medications to treat the stomach upset and possibly some fluids if dehydrated. There are so many great anti-nausea medications that we as veterinarians can prescribe that will often get these pets eating again.

I hope that helps. If have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated as it is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for approximately 1 week in case you have questions or concerns. I hope things get better with Orville very soon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Any questions?

No, thanks

I just wanted to check in with you to see how things are going. I also wanted to add that you can definitely start Orville on a probiotic which may help get things a bit more regulated. They make canine forms of probiotics such as fortiflora made by Purina. These can usually be purchased at a pet store or online.

Hope things are going a little better.

Have a good evening.

Dr. Nicole

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian