Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

About two weeks ago my dog got out the gate and got in the…

Customer Question
About two weeks ago...

About two weeks ago my dog got out the gate and got in the garbage. Which he has done before. But this particular time the upset stomach and the vomiting continued even after not giving food for about 12 to 24 hours started him on a bland diet and than tried to reincorporate his dog food back into the routine but he started the vomiting again. So after a week of vomiting I took him to the vet they ran a cray he didnt ingest anything he wasn't supposed to. They gave him some anti meds and some fluids and they ran blood work this was on Monday. She said he seem OK just maybe a bad case of garbage gut. She told me to give him the chicken and rice for five days and if he doesn't vomit to add his regular food slowly back into his routine. The next day she called and said his blood results came back and he had a very bad infection. I returned to the clinic and picked up two different antibiotics and start giving them to him right away. However I've been monitoring him this week very closely and I noticed that one he will not drink water. Also he can not jump up in our beds anymore. My yorkie has always been a very high jumper. Anyone who comes over here is always amazed at how high he could jump. He still is able to go up and down the stairs but he hasn't jumped in me or the kids bed in a long time. This morning my mom said he spit up some type of clear liquid. And he keeps making some type of gagging sound like something is caught in his throat or as if he is possibly trying to cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Thats the whole thing we don't know what he may have eaten when he initially got in the garbage 2 weeks ago. Thats what started the whole thing well at least thats what we think. I'm wondering how long he has had this infection and if that may have had an affect on things as well. I started the antibiotics right away on Monday just really trying to see what else may be going on and what else we can do

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Snickers

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He had a fecal test done and heart worm and those came back normal the vet also also said when she examined him that there wasn't anything alarming that she noticed. She did say that when she applied pressure to one part of his stomach he kind of flinch. My daughter says it seems as if his stomach is poking out. Also when we take let him out in the back yard he pees like a girl but if you take him for a walk he lifts his legs up to pee

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Which antibiotics is he on?

Is he currently on anything else?

Did his vet say what kind of infection? Pancreatitis?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian