Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog swallowed some cleaning steel wool that had soap on…

Customer Question
My dog swallowed some cleaning...
My dog swallowed some cleaning steel wool that had soap on it. So far she has thrown up 3 small steel wool pads. She seems fine but not sure what I should do
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long ago did she eat this? How much?

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any black stool or straining to pass stool?

She ate these on friday and I am not sure how many she ate. My daughter brought me a box of them with the corner chewed up and the box seemed to be pretty full and she has threw up 3 and a little part of one this morning so I am thinking it was just 3. When she threw up the 2 the first time it was yellow. Her gums are pink and moist. No tensing or discomfort when I push on her tummy and I haven't yet witnessed her passing stool. I have fed her a little bit of bread and rice with hamburger meat and she ate it all just fine. She hasn't thrown up except the three pads and a little bit this morning and it was clearing with a little bit of that steel wool. But that's about it.

Hello again,

Now hopefully she has brought all the pad material up, as that is the most risky part of these scrubbers (as they are abrasive to the gut and can cause blockage). Of course, their being in there for any period of time and the Gi upset soap can cause, is enough for us to be concerned about.

Therefore we need to start some supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach and get her passing stool (and any steel wool left) via the other end. With that in mind, we'd want to start by reducing her nausea and to do so you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, what you gave was fine but we can just just small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting any steel wool left slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray (luckily this is a material that can be seen on xray) to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this point, we'd want to use the above while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to settle her stomach and help her pass any left.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.