Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Robitussin DM for dry non-productive cough. Susi coughing…

Robitussin DM for dry non-productive...
Robitussin DM for dry non-productive cough. Susi coughing incessantly for hours. In RV not close to anything for at least 7 hours. Can she have this?
9/23/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

It's best that you avoid the dextromethorphan (DM) in that product. It's no longer recommended for dogs due to lack of efficacy and toxicity in the higher dosing range. You're likely to see a better response to a teaspoon of honey every few hours. As you're likely to be aware, such coughing can not only represent an allergic bronchitis ("asthma") in dogs but also congestive heart failure. I understand your logistical constraints but I would try to have Susi's chest auscultated (listened to) and X-rayed if that hasn't been done recently. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Susi has had two separate veterinary chest x-rays within the the past 3 months. Both vets disgnosed her with asthma. One vet is in San Fairview and us out of town. He prescribed hydrocodone syrup, but we’ve run out. I do have some honey. Should I dilute it it or warm it?
Sorry for typos- should read “San Diego and is out of town.”

Thank you for the additional information. No, the honey need not be diluted or warmed. Curiously, I'm in Chula Vista. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I thought I recognized your name. I’m a Periodontist. I just retired- my practice was in Hillcrest. Practiced with my Dad until his death the on my own (Dad ‘s name was Daniel A Grant). Did you know John Chase DVM?

That's a very familiar name but I can't place the face. I'm back in the area after being away for 32 years. I opened up Scripps Ranch Veterinary Hospital in 1978 and left in 1985. I thought I retired too...until I got this gig and now work more hours daily than I ever had.

I’m not doing retirement very well either �� It’s a “work” in progress. We’re headed for San Antonio about 30 miles north in Hill Country. Know any good vets in the area?

Regretfully, no. I've spent some time in San Antonio but it's been long ago and I don't know anybody there anymore. Mea culpa.

I have an avocation that has provided some wonderful new associations with vets- do you know Pat Melese ( boarded in vet behavior). I’ve been implementing behavior treatment plans for his clients in support of his care. I’m a trainer.
Thank you for your time, expertise and kindness. It’s been a treat texting with you!
Dani
Danielle Grant Theule DDS

No, Dani, I'm not familiar with Pat. I've become quite a curmudgeonly recluse lately! You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian