Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 11 months old. She is a mix of chocolate lab and…

Customer Question
My dog is 11...

My dog is 11 months old. She is a mix of chocolate lab and staffordshire terrier. For the past 2-3 weeks she limps on her right front leg. Both my husband and I have examined her leg and can't find any swelling or painful spot on it. She still runs and plays with our other dog, but when she gets up from a nap, she limps like it hurts.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lahlah?

She seems healthy in every other way, she just limps and favors her right front leg.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lahlah. It appears that she "warms out of" her lameness which is consistent with an arthritis rather than a soft tissue injury such as a bruise, sprain, or strain. The elbow (elbow dysplasia/ununited anconeal process/fragmented medial coronoid process, osteochondritis dissecans) and shoulder (shoulder dysplasia/osteochondritis dissecans/biceps tenosynovitis) are the important joints for Lahlah's vet to investigate. This is done by careful palpation, flexion/extension testing, and, most important, multiple X-rays of these joints. Both conservative (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs/neutraceuticals) and surgical approaches are available for these dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your reply. I'm wondering if she's too young to have arthritis. She isn't a year old yet.

You're quite welcome Regretfully, no. 6 - 12 months is when arthritis most often becomes clinically apparent secondary to the disorders I mentioned. I believe that you're concerned about age-related arthritis and osteoarthritis seen in much older dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Ok, I understand. I appreciate your answer and will absolutely get her to her vet. Thank you and have a good day.

I'm pleased to hear that Lahlah will be attended to by her vet shortly. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian