Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has what looks like a red blood blister with redness…

Customer Question
My dog has what...

My dog has what looks like a red blood blister with redness surrounding it. Do you know what it could be? She has an appointment with her vet on Wednesday but I'm curious to know what it is while we wait.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Nothing else is wrong with her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

??? doesn't hurt. It's just the above that i'm curious about. here is a copy of what my question is: My dog has what looks like a red blood blister with redness surrounding it. Do you know what it could be? She has an appointment with her vet on Wednesday but I'm curious to know what it is while we wait.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Zoey/7 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Zoey?

7

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this been present?

Does it appear to be growing in size?

Where is it on her body?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Hi, thanks for your quick reply! Its been on her for about a week. It first started as what looks like a little insect bite...there was not red "ring" around it or the bump. It is located on the inside of her upper leg. Attached is a photo.

Hello again,

Now that is quite inflamed. The first thing I would suggest doing here is just make sure that lump doesn't have legs. Some ticks can be mistaken for lumps and if present, we'd want to get a tick remover from the local pet store and get it off for her. Otherwise, given its appearance a blood blister/hematoma from a focal trauma would be a concern though we can see similar lesions from a few tumors (those made of cells from blood vessels -ie hemangiopericytoma, hemangioma, hemangiosarcoma. These are less likely but something we do need to keep in mind for Zoey.

With these all in mind, again any ticks need to be removed. And we can follow that with salt water bathing and applying OTC antibiotic cream. If we were to see a swelling, antibiotics may be dispensed by her vet. Otherwise, for the moment, we'd can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce the inflammation +/- start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle with our supportive care, then when she sees her vet you can have them evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump to ID what is there. Though given its small size, you could discuss sedation and biopsy to just fully remove it for her. That way we can get it checked but it'd be off and no worry for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian