Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Recently my dog Tyson, who is a part lab/pitbull mix hasnt

Customer Question

Hi! So recently my dog Tyson, who is a part lab/pitbull mix hasnt been eating his dry dog food. Only wet food. He will throw up every now and then and it will be a lot. He has gotten skinny in his back end. Alls he does now is lays down and sorta looks depressed. But he does go pee and poop and drinks water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tyson?
Customer: No thats really it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

How old is he?

When he vomits is it just food? Does he keep anything down?

Has he been drinking more since this started?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hes been showing signs for almost a week now, he turned 2 in July. He only seems to vomit if we give him some human food and some of his dog food. He does keep his down down for the most part. He wont really touch his dry food too much but he will eat a whole can of wet purina one smart blend dog food. He drinks about the same amount of water as normally. His gums are pink and moist. I pressed on his belly and it didnt seem to bother him at all. I remember when he was outside i noticed him eat a plant , but im not sure what it is.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He doesnt have diarrhea either , he has normal stools
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello again,

Now if it has been a week, we do need to be proactive here for Tyson. If this is only happening when given people food or his dog food, then we'd be wary of a possible pancreatitis. Though other causes for what we are seeing include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, and harmful ingestion (hopefully less likely but a concern if perhaps wet food is all he can pass beyond something he may have in his stomach).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, Tyson's signs do raise some concerns and its possible the plant is involved (may cause GI upset) but the others are more of a concern at this stage. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach but plan to keep him away from that plant just in case. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you! I am going to try this!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************