Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a westie that is showing signs of dog syndrome. His

I have a westie that...
I have a westie that is showing signs of white dog syndrome. His hind legs were collapsing then he seemed fine, now he is having tremors every ten minutes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bentley , 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bentley?
Customer: No just checked at vet told very healthy heart weight and muscles
We have noticed this twice prior , once every 2 or 3 weeks, but this morning he has had 8 . Started when he got excited and barked for food as my wife was cooking
9/23/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. While it is possible that is what it is, it is not normally a disease that would start to show symptoms so late in life. Usually the disease starts to manifest when they are much younger. I am concerned that it may be another medical issue that is causing a seizure disorder. If your vet didn't run full blood work, I would definitely start there. If blood work is completely normal, then your vet may want to refer to a veterinary neurologist for a further workup. They may just want to try him on a round of steroids also if blood work is normal. Steroids can help with the symptoms of white shaker syndrome, but it can also help if there is an inflammatory encephalitis (inflammation around the brain) or a brain tumor, so response to steroids does not necessarily mean it is shaker syndrome. They can also try an anti-seizure medication to see if that helps. At his age, control of the symptoms without an underlying diagnosis is acceptable to keep him comfortable, but determining the correct diagnosis may require a spinal tap and an MRI or CT scan. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thank you blood work came back fine a week ago. He is sleeping now. Is this something we should take him in for today? Or monitor- we are not sure if we should panic or monitor? Thank you

You are welcome. Sorry for the wait. I had to restart my computer. If he is sleeping and not shaking or having tremors, it should be okay to monitor him, but if he just starts to have tremors when he is awake again, it would be a good idea to have him seen today. If the are tremoring enough, they can actually become overheated. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you very much for your advice. We appreciate the response,Joe

You are very welcome.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian