Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Loss of appetite and vomiting. She has a tendency to lick

Loss of appetite and vomiting JA...
Loss of appetite and vomiting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She has a tendency to lick frogs which usually makes her froth and vomit when I can't stop her from getting to them. We are Harvey flood victims and in concerned she's locked or eaten something contaminated.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She's a 5 month old German Shephard
9/23/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's been not eating well for about a week. One day she won't eat anything the next she'll be fine. I took away the new chew toys she had and starting last night I will throw away the newest bag of bully sticks.
The vomit is clear or pinkish(but I think that was from the bacon flavored training treats I was trying to give her last night). She isn't really pooping on the days she isn't eating. This morning I tried to get her to eat some rice grilled chicken and dog food mix but she won't touch it and no water today so far.
Her gums are pink and healthy looking still but she's tired. Not lethargic cause she'll still want to play but not the same.

Hello again,

Now I have to say that if this has been ongoing for a week, we do need to tread with care. Its wise to remove all toys and treats for the moment. Though we do have to be wary that her signs may be due to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

Now changing her diet is something we want to do, but first we need to help her with the nausea. To do that, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. If she cannot be tempted but we can settle her vomiting, then we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise

Since dehydration is a risk with how long this has been ongoing, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doesn't appear dehydrated and no stomach belly sensitivity when I press. I'm going to let her sleep for a bit in her crate try some stomach med and get some of the food you mentioned. Don't currently have a kitchen to cook her anything. Thank you for the help and I'm happy to rate you.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

That is very positive that she isn't dehydrated and comfy in her belly. So, letting her rest is fine and we can use the above as needed to soothe her gut here.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian