Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is about 60 pounds and is a lab. There is a sago palm in…

Customer Question
He is about 60...

He is about 60 pounds and is a lab. There is a sago palm in the back and he broke some of the branches off. We don’t think he ate any of it but had it in his mouth. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is about 8 months old

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am glad to hear its not likely he ate any of this, as it can cause GI upset (ie appetite loss, vomiting) and increased thirst is small doses (In big ones, it can also cause bloody or black stools and liver damage). With this in mind, if he has only had it in his mouth, then we can just rinse his mouth with cool water to remove any residue and monitor. If we were to see any GI upset, we could also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, we can follow that with a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. But again if he only had it in his mouth then the risk of harm is low and we can use the above as needed for him and possibly block his access to this in the future to be safe.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**