Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 80lbs puppy got into my full celebrex bottle .There was…

Customer Question
My 80lbs puppy got...

My 80lbs puppy got into my full celebrex bottle .There was alot of vomit in the floor this morning with many undigested capsules in the vomit, I can not tell how many he too it looks like most of the bottles contents were either in or around the vomit . Sam is not very active and when i took him out had very bad diarrieah. I am not sure how long he got into the bottle of celebrex might have been as long as 6-7 hours ago after i went to bed. Other then the runs and not being very active this morning he seems alert and had no issues urinating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Other then a large meal of puppy food before i went to bed nothing else

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?

He was fixed 2 weeks ago other then that he is a very happy healthy puppy jusy over 6 months old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What strength/milligrams?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

pink his breathing is around 54 and the dosage is 200mg a tablet
Hel seem to have no issues breathing and seems happy and waggy his tail

Hello again,

Now with it being likely being a good few hours since he had this, we are in a position with Sam where we need to focus on symptomatic care as needed for signs we see with him. And I have to note that further to vomiting and diarrhea, if he has absorbed quite a bit then there is also risk of bleeding stomach ulcers/perforation and this can also damage the kidneys or liver in high doses.

With this in mind, it would be safest to have him seen for IV fluids and gastroprotectants to head off those other risks since we cannot be sure how much he didn't bring up. Otherwise, you can try some symptomatic care as you monitor very,very closely. To do so, if it has been <8 hours we could start him on activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we want to take steps to reduce that diarrhea and any nausea he has. To start, we can plan to put him on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. Furthermore, as he is very loose, Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)) can also be started This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Further to this, to try to reduce nausea and protect his stomach., we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood if not given charcoal as that to can darken stools). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have him checked and start on fluids to be safe.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok i will start charcol ASAP and will moniter his symtoms for the next few day and follow your instructions. Thank you for all your help

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

That is all ideal and hopefully he did bring most of it up and we can just mop up the rest for him with the charcoal.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian