Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has what seems to be bite or stye by his eye? 5 Year Old…

Customer Question
He has what seems...

He has what seems to be bite or stye by his eye?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

5 Year Old Chocolate Labrador Male

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, my Labrador

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Labrador's name?

Yogi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yogi?

No perfectly healthy happy boy. Full of energy. This appeared a day or so ago

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

Is it in the corner of his eye? On the nose side or ear side of the eye?

Any changes to the eyeball?

Any tearing or discharge?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Near lower eyelid, 3 days. I am trying to post a pic it says it is too large. Let me try again
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZYfhTqnkyqb_u6iiD8kXTwl4njeBFY3Hhi9uQ0/
Are you able to see the picture

Hello again,

Now based on its location, we do have a few concerns.

This may be a small abscess/bacterial infection but we can also see allergic reactions, cysts (and rarely tumors) arise from the glands along the eyelid. Though I'd note that if this has been here for 3 days, allergic reactions are a bit less likely. Now with this all in mind, we can start some supportive care. With it not being an open draining abscess, we are limited in what we can do without systemic antibiotics but to prevent secondary conjunctivitis we can flush this eye with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution.

Furthermore, to exclude allergies fully, we could trial Yogi on an OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) or Cetirizine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cetirizine-(zyrtec-)). These can be used every 12 hours and we like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications.

Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle with our supportive care, then we'd need to think about those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA) under sedation.This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment. So, yes I can see your photo and this would be our approach here for Yogi.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok great I have saline and I will give him 25MG of Benadryl. He weighs 80lbs

Hello again,

Perfect and if he is 80lbs, we can start with a 40mg Benadryl dose to see if we can reduce this (or at least rule out allergic causes)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Thanks, ***** ***** been flushed and benadryl is down the hatch! Have a great day!

Grand! And a lovely day to you both too,

Dr. B. :)

*************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian