Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 12, thick necked labrador, bit overweight. She is…

Customer Question
She is 12, thick...

She is 12, thick necked labrador, bit overweight. She is reverse sneezing and has been unable to breathe properly for about 4 hours. When she's quiet she's ok, then she finds she can't get enough air through her nose and tries to pant and get air through her mouth and can't. I've done the block both nostrils, 1 x puff ventolin through spacer. I do have some 20mg prednisone tabs here, i was thinking x 2 for her. Does this sound like reverse sneezing to you?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

She has reverse sneezed last 3 or 4 yrs , occasionally, this is the longest bout of not being able to get proper air

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Could she have had access to any airborne irritants or chewed something that could have lodged behind her soft palate before this started?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

What does she weigh?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

It is very dry where we live in Australia currently, hot and dusty. Don't think she has chewed anything, but i did give her some left over cat food this morning, the cat licks all the juice from it and just the 'meaty' (not very meaty looking) bits left. Could these little bits lodge in soft palate? No nasal discharge, gums are pink, 28kg, 40 breaths per min.

Hello again,

First, while her breathing rate is mildly elevated (usually its ~30bpm at rest), seeing pink gums is a good sign since it tells us that she is getting adequate oxygen. Now I am glad to hear we can rule out anything being physically caught here and the cat food is no worry since it is too soft to really catch the way grass/seeds/bones/etc could do so. Anyway, those aside, it is possible we have reverse sneezing with Lola. Just to confirm, you can see a video example of this HERE.

If this is what we have here with her, then the tricky situation is that we can see this for a range of reasons. Usually it is associated with inflammation of the back of the nasal passage. This can be from infection (bacterial/viral), allergies and sometimes associated with asthma. In this case, if she is prone to the latter, then we can use Prednisone but would want to give a low dose (14-20mg every 12-24 hours) after food. Usually we need to use it for a few days before weaning down (to every other day for 2-3 days) but of course would want to follow up with her vet for a check for those other concerns. And if they did confirm infectious agents then we'd want those treated for as well to clear this for her. Though for the moment, we can use a low dose of Prednisone to ease her signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok, thank you. She has had a rest the last hour or so and is looking fairly back to normal. I shall take her to my vet tomorrow to see if she has any inflamation in her throat etc., Thank you so much. Kind regards, Sue

You are very welcome, Sue.

That is good to hear that she is more settled now. In that case we can just monitor at this stage with a view to a check as needed.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

I have 20mg Prednisone on hand so perhaps i'll start her on that tonight. thankyou

Yes, that is perfect just in case she has any relapse. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**