Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a callus on her elbow(s) that seems to have

Customer Question
opened up due to her...
My dog has a callus on her elbow(s) that seems to have opened up due to her biting at it. Its.bleeding in 2 spots and a little swollen with a couple black dots on it... my vet is closed, can she wait until morning or does she need to go immediately?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

Now if this is bleeding profusely then we'd want her seen, though otherwise we can start some supportive care. If it is actively bleeding, we need to be putting pressure on the area for 10-15 minutes to see if we can get the body to clot this wound. If it is struggling, we can use styptic powder from the pet store, cornstarch or flour to just help clot this faster. If she is chewing at it, she will need a bandage over this or an ecollar. Finally, after it has settled, we do want to start some topical care to try to prevent infection. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. Of course, any pus, swelling or pain in the area (or if the wound was gaping open) then we'd want her seen once her vet is open for dog safe pain relief, antibiotics +/- stitching if there was a deep or gaping wound.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian