Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99787490

The little dog we have has not been able to take a poop for

The little dog we have has not been able to take a poop for the pass two hours she trys so hard to go put just crys
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she a cross beed a poodle and some other dog. She is about a year and half old
JA: How old is Foxy?
Customer: 1 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Foxy?
Customer: We do not know any thing

Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I am so sorry to hear about Foxy. I am going to try to help you through this situation. I am working on a response and will be back with you shortly.

I know that this is a tough situation as I am sure you are not able to take Foxy into a vet this evening. Here are a few suggestions and we will see if this will help to make her more comfortable.

1. Try to give her a warm bath and gently wash the anal area. This might sound strange but it might make her a little more comfortable and relax her a bit. If it seems like it is helping and relaxing her, then you can keep her in there as long as you need to.

2. Offer plenty of water. Dehydration will make the problem worse, so plenty of fluids. Hopefully she is still willing to drink. You can even add a little low sodium chicken broth to her water to encourage drinking.

3. Fiber- Fiber can work in 2 ways, help with diarrhea, but all help to move things a long.

The best fiber source that I would recommend would be original Metamucil, not the flavored kind. Sounds like she is a small dog, so then add 1 tsp twice daily. If she is a large dog, add 1 tbsp twice daily.

4. Movement- sometimes, just as with humans, it can help if the pet walks around a bit and get some activity. Not excessive though, as you don't want her to get dehydrated, but just get her moving to see if it will help things to pass.

5. If she is willing to eat, offer a very soft, mushy diet with the added fiber. I wouldn't feed her any dry food for a few days and obviously stay away from cheese and treats until this is resolved. You want to feed easily digestible low fat foods.

This is a tough situation because I never recommend that an owner try to do an enema at home. It is very difficult to do this on a pet and there are too many things that can go wrong.

Finally, if she is not improving and she is really feeling uncomfortable to the point where it is effecting her eating and drinking, then she will need to be examined and treated by your veterinarian.

Sorry I didn't mean to decline the call, it was an accident because I was in the middle of typing. If you would still like a call you can try to put the request through again.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole