Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Husky has what I call carpet burns on her elbows from the…

My Husky has what...

My Husky has what I call carpet burns on her elbows from the way she sits on the floor all the time I used some baby rash cream on her and it seemed to work, but haven't done it in a few months now her skin in her elbow area is red and it looks like it will start bleeding soon if I don't apply something please, please tell me what I could use. Thank you so much!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Burns are certainly painful. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about MAYA And?

Yes. The other big problem I have with her, is the eyes. Her eyes are tearing all the time. And, I have been told by our vet that this is a common problem with Huskies. He recommended us to use anti-allergy meds with her, and have given her pills for about a month. It worked, somewhat, but then, I have been afraid to give her pills every day for the rest of her life. So, I've tried chamommile tea compressions. thank you. Sorry to make it such a long story

9/23/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you through this situation. I am sorry that Maya is going through this. I am working on a response for you right now.

I understand your concern and this can be a common issue in larger breed dogs, especially since larger breed tend to prefer lying on hard surfaces. This is obviously more common in larger breeds in which more weight is placed on the bony area having contact with the hard surface. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Topical medications- you can use a vitamin E ointment or Neosporin. If they are starting to look cracked and infected you may want to use the Triple antibiotic ointment. You can even apply a light sock/stockinette to the area to keep it loosely covered and protected, but this should be changed daily. Nothing constricting.

2. Prevent further trauma or irritation. This is primarily accomplished through the use of soft bedding. You could even create a donut shaped type padding that you place over the elbow and then cover with a sock so that the bony part is protected while it is healing.

3. If the area is starting to look infected, then Maya may need antibiotics, but it doesn't sound like it is at that point.

Second, as far as the excessive tearing. There is not much that can be done to decrease tear production except treating the underlying cause. In many dogs allergies definitely contribute so I think it was a good idea to try an allergy medication. Was she given an antihistamine for the tearing? If so, antihistamines are very benign and long term use is not unsafe. You could even continue it every other day long term and she if that manages the issue.

Is it the tearing that bothers you or the staining that comes from the tearing? I only ask because some people really believe that "Angel eyes" works well for tear staining in pets. Something to consider.

I hope that information helps. If you have additional questions, please ask. I am happy to help.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Dr. Nicole

Dearest Dr. Nicole,Thank you ever so much for writing back to me so quickly. I truly appreciate it. I am so, so over the moon about the "carpet burn" treatment options you have provided. I will definitely follow your instructions.
About the tearing, I am not concerned about the staining, but mostly, about the smell. When I wipe her tears away with my hand, there is a smell, almost like a 'wet dog." But, the odor si more potent. Our doctor even put her on antibiotics last year, which only helped for a short time (a couple of months). I also think that it really doesn't help that we've moved to Richmond, VA from England (hmmm.. just a thought..)
Dr. Nicole, thank you ever so much once again for everything!! I truly appreciate your help.
I am wishing you a wonderful weekend!!
Gina

I am glad to help. I think that what you are smelling is a mild yeast infection. Sounds weird, but we see it a lot in dogs where moisture creeps in. It is obviously very mild and because of the location it becomes quite difficult to use any topical antifungals as you would not want to get it in the eye. There is a product online by Dechra (good brand) called Mal-a-Ket wipes that can be great for something like this. They are often used for skin folds in bulldogs and pugs, but can work really well for any bacterial or yeast infection even if it is mild. I would be curious if it made a difference with the odor and you wouldn't have to worry about it getting in the eyes.

I hope that helps, please let me know if I can clarify anything or if you have any other questions.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing.

Have a good evening.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hi again, :))))Dr. Nicole, you are an angel!!! Thank you so much!! I would award you with 10 stars out of 5 if I could. Really!!!I have already jumped on the task!! LOL I am on amazon.com ordering the wipes and the angel's product. I will definitely keep your contact information, so I could update you on my baby's progress. Thank you so, so much for your time and advice.
Best wishes,Gina
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian