Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

13 PDS ..2bemadryls instead of 1...!! Chiweeny. Its a dog…

13 PDS ..2bemadryls instead...

13 PDS ..2bemadryls instead of 1...!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Chiweeny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes its a dog ..part weeny part chiwawa

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He just keeps looking around like he sees something..been bout 2hrs since he ate the pills..he seems nervous..

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Digit..6-7 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Digit

9/23/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you.....

how much does your dog weigh and how many mg of benedryl did you give or did he eat?

Thank u..I'm really nervous
13-14 PDS..
25-30 mg

so he had 50 mg total?

I cannot do a phone call as my medical board does not allow it....but I am happy to continue chat here with you...

would you like to continue chat or would you like another expert?

He's beginning to act Lil more normal..just afraid his heart may stop after I go to sleep!!!how long should I watch him?

let me check my data base for toxic dose.......

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Ok
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started

The above is a great article on diphenhydramine toxicosis in dogs......your dog could have a problem at this dose but if otherwise healthy is not likley to because the dose was 8 mg/kg....

The only way to be 100% sure is to go to vet ER and have IV fluids and monitoring overnight to help flush it out the body....I hope that helps.DRB

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B