Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Greyhound swallowed an entire Oravet chew whole. Zorro, 8

My Greyhound swallowed an entire...
My Greyhound swallowed an entire Oravet chew whole.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your greyhound will be able to digest that. What is the greyhound's name and age?
Customer: Zorro, 8 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zorro?
Customer: I don't think so. His digestive health is generally very good. I'm just worried about how well it will dissolve versus possibly creating an obstruction, either during vomiting or a bowel movement.
9/23/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I think there is a good chance he will digest and pass it.

It is suppose to be digestible. Dogs eat bones the size of the chew and digest those. So since he is a bigger guy I would not panic at this time but just keep an eye on him.

Watch him over the next week. Feed and exercise him as usual.

Signs to watch for are:

Lots of vomiting meaning more than 4 times or can not keep anything down

Pain on abdominal palpation

Blood in the vomit or stool

Not eating

Severe lethargy

I am sorry to say he can not have any more of those if he swallows them whole.

You may not see any evidence of the chew in his stools if his stomach acid totally digests it.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions?

We won't give him any more. My husband was supposed to watch him while he had it but... you know.
Is there a percentage you'd give it, like 50% chance that stomach acid will do the trick? Or there's just no way to know, simply wait and watch?

I can estimate if you want. Of course there are no studies on that particular chew or other things they may eat and the chance of them causing a blockage. I do know, in my 19 vet years, the digestible bones rarely cause a blockage in a large dog.

Just in case you are curious corn cobs, tampons, and panty hose almost always cause trouble.

My estimate would be 75% chance of no trouble.

How does that sound?

If you are very worried you could run him into the ER clinic and they could induce vomiting and see if he would vomit it up.

I would not induce vomiting at home as if the bone got stuck in the esophagus he would choke and have trouble breathing and you do not have the resources at home to deal with that.

Hah well we do a better job of not letting him eat those things.
I'll take your advice along with his good track record on digestive health overall and think positive!

My dog at a whole rotisserie chicken including all the bones. I about had a heart attack and panicked. But he never even vomited. The large dogs do much better when it comes to passing things.

I think and hope he will be just fine : )

I will be online tomorrow afternoon as well if you need me.

Do you have any other questions for me right now or are you all set?

I looked up the nearest 24 hour clinic before hitting upon this site. I'm not going to jump the gun or cause him more unnecessary stress by inducing vomiting. He sleeps gated in our bedroom with us so we'll hear if he starts to have issues.
I'm all set for now, thank you Dr. Gabby.

If it were my dog I would just watch him too. You are very welcome : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian