Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My shih tzu went to the groomer Monday and was infested with

My shih tzu went to...
My shih tzu went to the groomer Monday and was infested with fleas so she shaved her real short. Since this she has been acting depressed and sleeping all day and night. Eating only 1 meal a day and when she walks her head and tail form a "U" shape. It is very "retarded" looking for a lack of better words. Ears seem to be free of odor drainage etc. what could this be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarians require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: Fees are how much?
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Shih Tzu. What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?
Customer: We were just given this baby. She is 3 yo and her name is***** was a "rescue" dog. She was unable to come in heat so breeders didnt want her. I know nothing else.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Katy?
Customer: I have no other history.
I did omit something. She has 2 spots on her trunk that were red almost looked like a lesion. I assummed it was from her scratching the fleas. I have been treating them topically with neospirin and hydrocortisone cream. Very small amount mixed.
Treatment has been successfully. The 2 areas have all but healed.
9/23/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please tell me how long ago it was that Katy was groomed. I see dogs in pain from razor burns acting as she has acted but inappetence, depression and somnolence (sleepiness) extending over many days indicates an ill dog rather than one that was traumatized by the groomer.

Today is Saturday. She was groomed on Monday.
She is favoring her right ear but again, i see no discharge redness swelling nor do i smell an odor of any kind.

Thank you. Katy's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on Katy. We can't blame something that happened at the groomer at this late date especially because she has responded well to your ministrations. Her change in posture suggests spinal pain such as might be seen with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). Her right ear needs to be scoped as there can be pathology deep in her ear unable to be seen with the naked eye. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

What are s/s if ear mites?
Sorry....of ear mites

Ear mites are usually evidenced by a mild to marked accumulation of dark brown to black, waxy or crusty exudate in the ear canals. Mites would be unlikely as her ears appear to be free of "drainage" and are more commonly seen in kittens and the occasional puppy.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian