Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Petey had his teeth cleaned on Monday. Petey is a 15…

Customer Question
My dog Petey had his...
My dog Petey had his teeth cleaned on Monday. Petey is a 15 pound Italian Greyhound mix who is 6 years old. His doctor sent him home with 10 Oravet chews to help maintain his teeth. On Monday evening, he managed to steel two of the chews and eat them while I was gone for a short period. Starting on Tuesday I noticed that he has been drinking excessive amounts of water compared to normal. In fact he peed the carpet Tuesday which is abnormal. Tuesday evening he ate very little of his food and vomited up what he did eat the next morning (Wed.). Wednesday night he also ate very little of his food. I took him back to the vet. on Thursday and they did a physical examination and they didn't believe he had any kind of bowel obstruction and noted his gums looked good. The guess was that he has mild constipation from eating the chews. Last night he again ate almost none of his food (he eats can food). He has a large crate that he sleeps in at night and I leave it open in the day if he wants to go to it. I discovered that he had urinated on the pillow in the crate when I got home today. I don't know if he did this last night or went to it sometime during the day. I did offer him a small can of chicken that he readily ate, but I am very concerned about these changes in behavior. I don't know whether to think the chews caused an issue or if he is suffering from some problem from having his teeth cleaned. What could be going on?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:#

What treatment did they start him on?

Did he have any belly discomfort or straining to pass stools?

Was his urine very dilute/watery?