Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My French bulldog is 11 years old and acting weird just

Customer Question
My French bulldog is...

My French bulldog is 11 years old and acting weird just starring into space not really eating or drinking very skiddish is he gonna die

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the French bulldog's name?

Rocky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?

He has had issues with seizures before but hasn't had one in awhile He is drooling sometimes too

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I never received a answer
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I am also sorry that you haven't received a response yet. I am working on typing up some information for you and I will be back with you shortly.

So you sent this initial message at 4pm. Is Rocky still acting unusual or has his behavior improved at all?

Is he having any vomiting or diarrhea?

Did anything change in the last 24 hours that you are aware of....any new food, treats, changes in home, etc?

There are so many reasons why a pet will act the way you described. These are very non-specific symptoms which don't necessarily help me focus on one body system.

I ask the above questions because sometimes it helps us to identify a cause. Sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with the external environment and everything to do with him, his physiology and his age.

I would categorize this a few ways.

1. Neurologic- since he has a history of seizures, this could be related to that even though he is not having a full seizure. Ensure that he is able to walk well and coordinate his movements. Ensure that he is responsive and reacts to you as he usually does, especially if you get a favorite toy or treat.

2. Metabolic- at this age there are many illnesses that can cause a pet to just not act or feel right. In some situations it will seem like it came on very suddenly when actually there have been little subtle changes a long the way and they all of a sudden they just start acting strange. Some diseases can make a pet nauseated and drool to the point where they just don't want to eat. The best thing to do would be to have him examined and have some blood work completed to ensure that his liver and kidney values are normal and that there is no evidence of metabolic disease.

3. Pain- sometimes pets that are in pain or have injured themselves, especially if they have arthritis, etc, will start acting a bit strange and skiddish like they don't want to be touched. Dogs can also have severe oral pain that will cause them to drool and not want to eat.

4. Neoplastic- Cancer can creep up in any pet that is older. I am not saying that this is the case with Rocky, but should be ruled out especially if his behavior continues.

5. Toxins or ingestion of other unusual substances.

Obviously I am not able to examine him, so I am unable to tell you how critical he is. Here are a few important things to check.

1. Is his gum color around his teeth nice and pink? If it is white or blue this is serious and he should be seen immediately.

2. Does he have labored breathing- also a reason to be seen immediately.

3. Does he seem bloated or have abdominal pain- again more of an emergency.

If he is not exhibiting any of these symptoms, then he is probably fairly stable. I say that cautiously however. I would recommend taking him in for an exam tomorrow morning if he is otherwise doing well tonight. He should have a full exam, blood work to ensure his internal health is okay and then consider x-rays to check for any other internal issues.

I hope that helps, please let me know if I can clarify anything or if you have any other questions. I want to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing.

Please keep me posted on how things are going.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole