Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He got into my trash and ate a piece of chicken bone. Today…

He got into my...

He got into my trash and ate a piece of chicken bone. Today is 2 days later, and he is crying and sitting on his behind like it hurts. I looked at his rectum area it seems a little red, he is neutered, I looked at his pee pee area because he does urinate, it looks a little red also.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if Today will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Today?

Not at this time

9/22/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about your little one. Wha tis his name? Is he still eating well? Is he having any vomiting?

Parker is 105 pounds, he did vomit 2 days ago, no vomit today, I have had him inside most of the day. He did eat this morning and believe it or not, I gave him some prunes a few hours ago...took him outside to see if he would poo and he just moans and wants to sit on his rump
live chat is ok.

Sorry about the phone prompt - that was the system and not myself. That is good that he's not having any more vomiting. It is also good that he ate here today. In a situation like this, could he be straining as there is diarrhea / inflammation of the colon going on? That is actually a pretty common thing to have happen after a bout of nausea. If his last stools were softer, then this would seem pretty suspicious. The other possibility is if the stools are having some of that bony material in it and it is trying to pass. I've seen the rare case at my ER where a piece of the bone is causing discomfort as it is trying to pass. If enough bone is eaten, it can actually get the stools very hard like concrete.

He loves to eat prunes, is this a wait and see.

If he's not in a lot of distress, he's eating / drinking, he's not vomiting - then it may be something that time is the big factor for resolving it.

ok thank you.

No problem. Hopefully he's back to normal here soon!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?