Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His ear has heavy ear wax. been trying to clean out with…

Customer Question
His ear has heavy...

His ear has heavy ear wax. been trying to clean out with hartz ear cleaner. he has a bad cough. could this be coming from drainage from his ear

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Peabody. around 10 but not exact

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Peabody?

Have ciprodex otic suspension and neomycin polymyxin that has been prescribed to me. financing prevents visit to vet at this time

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peabody?

Coughing and ear problem at this time. does have spells of coughing for 3or 4 days but was told that came from kennel cough. give him antibotics. semms to help

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the two are unlikely to be linked. Instead, it sounds like we have an overly waxy ear +/- yeast/bacterial ear infection but also a cough inducing issue. If he responded to antibiotics, then bacterial upper airway infections +/- pneumonia would be our main concerns. Of course, if we didn't have full resolution after the antibiotics then we'd be wary that the infection is partly resistant or that we have another underlying issue they cannot address (ie lung or heart worm, bronchitis, asthma, heart issues, etc). Therefore, you may wish to ring the local vet that provided antibiotics to see if they can dispense further ones to rule out infectious causes but also to discuss these other concerns (as they may be able to rule some out from the recent examination).

Otherwise, if he is still on treatment or the cough is mild, you can try him on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.

Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving him to cough. Furthermore, if he has a throat irritation, then soaking his kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce his signs.

Overall, these signs are not likely linked in this case for Peabody. Therefore, we'd want to consider the above to see if we can get him settled. Else we may need to look into those other health concerns for him .

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
I am still concerned with his ear problem. I have ciprodex otic suspension ear drops and neomycin polymyxin hc ear drops. Have not tried either. The Heirtz ear cleaner helped some but still has wax further down in his ear. As I stated financrs are a problem right now. Looking for something to help him now
Please help. His ears seem to be bothering him today. Acts like he may have ear ache
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

Hello again,

Now I have to say that we'd not really want to use either of those products without a check up. This is because if his ear drum is compromised some of the medications can cause wobbliness, deafness, or even seizures. So, if funds are a concern, then I'd suggest the best option would be to see if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help. And once we get the all clear on the ear drum, you may be able to use the Polymyxin or at least get that vet to dispense a safer option to clear this for him.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

******************************************

***Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here (as I answer questions in good faith). This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Do you think giving him generic benadryl would help anything and how much should I give him. They are in 25mg capsules

Hi again,

It would do no harm and you can use 0.5mg per pound of his weight every 8-12 hours.

Dr. B.