Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My labrador has a hot spot on his inner rear thigh and I'm

Hi - my labrador has...
Hi - my labrador has a hot spot on his inner rear thigh and I'm having a hard time keeping it dry. Its day 3 and starting yesterday he is on benadryl and Keflex. I am cleaning with warm water and baby shampoo 1-2 times a day , gently towel drying, and then applying Vets Best Hot Spot Spray. There isn't much fur on the area, but because of the location I'm having a hard time keeping it dry. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: Cash, 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cash?
Customer: nope
9/22/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Cash. What may be needed here is an E-collar. With hot spots, they can be irritating enough that they constantly want to lick them. When this happens, the saliva is continuing to keep that area moist and to not let it quiet down. An E-collar is the perfect barrier to have on him so he can't lick that area. I would have high hopes that it combined with the current therapy would help this area to resolve. With hot spots, I like to shave the area to get all the fur off so there is nothing that can retain moisture too.

Forgot to mention that. An e collar is on him already.

That is good that he has that on him. Shaving the fur off the area can help to get the initial debris / serum off that region. Typically, once the fur is removed and treatment started up, then it dries up quickly. Has your vet seen this hot spot?

Thanks, Doc. Yes that is how hot spots have healed up in the past. Frustrating part about this one is that when he lies down, it doesn't get any air. I feel like it has stabalized, but he is still miserable. No the vet hasn't seen it yet.

Any chance you can post a picture here of what it looks like? With what is going on, it sounds like the "typical" hot spot should be looking better.

My vet is expensive and I'm ok with spending the money if they provide some value, but I feel like with a hotspot I should be able to manage it myself. I'm thinking I just need some type of drying agent. It's definitely looking better from yesterday - less raw. But it still isn't staying dry. See attached photo. Thanks!

Good job on the picture. The skin there is looking like it is quieting down. Honestly, it might be something that no more cleaning or topical therapy is needed. Anytime you put stuff on it, it can trap moisture and keep it from drying out. I wouldn't feel that anything topical is needed now - except the consideration of shaving the fur off the area. But this has to be done carefully as it can cause razor burn if the right clippers aren't used.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Ok, Thanks Dr. Bruce. That gives me some peace of mind. I tried shaving him once and he flipped out. Now every time the clothes dryer buzzes he gets super nervous haha. I'll see how it goes without shaving him. Thanks again

I'm glad to help and hope that Cash is back to normal here soon. The buzzing and vibration of the clippers is something that can really spook some out. IT also can be harder to trim certain areas as it just is more stimulating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian