Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our lab mix was sore after fetching his ball last night and…

Customer Question
Our lab mix was...

Our lab mix was sore after fetching his ball last night and this morning is lethargic and when he does move is very tentative...has voided and had a bm but is ignoring his food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Lab mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

That is correct

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?

Is usually sore after fetching but is good the next day

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry your dog is not feeling well, is he tentative with steps/ stairs and jumping on/ off furniture?

to on and off furniture....takes very labored steps and then lies down

Tail tucked, hunched back as well?

No, im fine typing

My primary concern is an injury to the back, probably from the ball throwing but they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back/ shoulders/ neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

It also can effect his appetite so try to feed a bland but appealing diet of white rice and lean boiled meat until you can get him in. Hopefully your vet can see him today to get him on pain medications and control his discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your dog comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses yesterday. I wanted to check on your dog to see if he is feeling better? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!