Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got kennel cuagh and has coming out of her nose now…

Customer Question
My dog got kennel cuagh...
My dog got kennel cuagh and has green snot coming out of her nose now and is not getting better its been 4 days
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How is her appetite?

How is her activity level?

Has she been seen by her vet yet?

Has she been started on antibiotics?

No appetite but will eat if its good , no energy and doesnt want any activity or dogs around her very irritable not seen by a vet but needs antibiotics unless there is an alternative i have clarithramyiasin for people and if there is a small dose of that i can give her that will be safe to give her let me kno ..
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. John for you. Clarithromycin is of primary interest in treating atypical mycobacterial (e.g., tuberculosis) infections in dogs but it's a macrolide antibiotic that could be of value when addressing the infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough") when dosed at 2.5 - 5 mg per pound twice daily for 7-10 days. The adverse effect profile for this antibiotic in dogs isn't well described but it appears to be relatively well tolerated. Like all orally administered antibiotics, gastrointestinal disturbances are possible - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.