Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She got the childproof lid off my bottle of Topamax. I am…

Customer Question
She got the childproof...

She got the childproof lid off my bottle of Topamax. I am not sure if she swallowed any.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Rosey. 20 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

She weighs 18 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is healthy. Active. Up to date on all vacs.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. What size pills (mgs) were in the bottle?
  2. How many could Rosey have eaten (worst case scenario)?
  3. How is she behaving now?
  4. How long has it been since she may have ingested the pills?
  5. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Topamax (topiramate) drug is not commonly used in dogs but it is sometimes used as an add on drug when the primary drugs we use to control seizures are not effective enough. The usual dose is 5mg to 10mg per kilogram of body weight every 12 hours. It has a very short half life in dogs and may not even last that long.
At 18 pounds she is 8.2kgs, (18lbs/2.2lbs per kg = 8.2kgs) so a usual dose for her would be 41mg to 82mg.

If she ate one 25mg or 50mg tablet I think she will be just fine.

Side effects that you may see are sleepiness or incoordination, but a normal one time dose is unlikely to even cause those effects. I would watch her around stairs so she doesn't fall or stumble, but other then that she should be fine.
If she ate several 200mg tablets and it has been less than 2 hours since ingestion then it is worth inducing vomiting with peroxide, and I can give you suggestions on how to do that.

If it has been more than 2 hours, or she already seems very, very sleepy then it is too late to induce vomiting. At that point having her admitted to a veterinary clinic for fluid therapy and observation is best.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

They are 100 mg pills. She could have eaten several. I don't know. I have given her 10 MLS. Of hydrogen peroxide, but I don't know if that is enough.
She is alert and up.
It has been within the last hour.

Thanks very much.

She could have 1 &1/2 to 2 Tablespoons of peroxide mixed with a little ice cream, bread chunks or canned food.

Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling in her stomach.

If no vomiting in 10-15 minutes repeat the peroxide dose ONCE

Peroxide works by irritating the stomach lining, so if it isn't churned & bubbling it may not work.

Ok. I will take her outside now ��

10mls (2/3 of a tablespoon) of peroxide is likely not enough for her. I recommend 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds, but no more than 3 tablespoons per dose even for a big dog.

If it is expired it won't work either.

Most dogs do vomit with peroxide, but there are a few that don't. In that case I'd recommend getting her to a veterinary clinic to induce vomiting since she is small, this was recent, and we have no idea how many she may have eaten.

Some dogs vomit in the car, so make sure to cover the seats and floor just in case.