Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a new puppy -- Chi-Dachshund. Has had diarrhea for…

Customer Question
Hi. I have...

Hi. I have a new puppy -- Chi-Dachshund. Has had diarrhea for past 4 days, but I attributed that to change in dog food on day one, so I went back to the food she was previously eating. The diarrhea has continued, and it seems she is having trouble trying to "go". It's possible that she ate some tiny Legos that were on the floor (I have 2 young grandsons. Is it possible that legos in the puppy's tummy would cause her to have problems?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name?

Sassy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sassy?

She eats and drinks water with great excitement, and she's very frisky. Does not appear to be in any pain. Naps well.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. It sounds more like she has some inflammation in her colon (colitis). Chances are it is due to the diet change or stress of a new environment, but it can be due to intestinal parasites as well. If she had swallowed a Lego it would most likely get stuck in the small intestinal tract and cause vomiting and lack of appetite. If something can pass through the small intestinal tract, it won't get stuck in the colon. The inflammation in the colon make her feel like she has to defecate, but nothing is really in there. I usually recommend that if the diarrhea has been going on for more than 48 hours, to get them to the vet. The normal bacteria in her GI tract is probably gone, and she has an overgrowth of bad bacteria. Getting on a course of metronidazole and a probiotic usually helps this quickly. I would have her checked for any intestinal parasites as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Sassy is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian