Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog occasionnally lick the floor,the rug,the wall

etc...Could the reason be a...
My dog occasionnally lick the floor,the rug,the wall etc...Could the reason be a lack of salt as I feed him cooked food without any?
9/22/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are making up and cooking his meals for him and are concerned about your pup licking the floor, rug etc.

Is there a reason he is not being fed a commercial diet?

Dogs will often lick when they are feeling nauseous or have gastroesophageal reflux to try and settle their stomachs. If he has had a change in appetite or is vomiting along with his licking I feel that he may be nauseous.

Dogs that are being fed an unbalanced diet may behave strangely and have a drive to eat or lick things they normally would not. The danger with that is that they can ingest toxins, like lead, in the environment, which can affect behavior too.

Metabolic diseases that cause stomach upset like kidney or liver disease, hyperlipidemia, or pancreatitis can cause licking too. Anemia can lead to pica or eating or licking non food items. I do recommend that he see his veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure there are no health problems behind this behavior.

If you choose to continue cooking for him I recommend consulting with a veterinary nutritionist to design a balanced diet for him. There are recipes available in books and online, but a recent study found that none were balanced appropriately for long term feeding.
Here is a link to help you find a nutritionist in your area:
http://www.acvn.org/directory/
Another option is a company called BalanceIt. They sell trace mineral and vitamin supplements to add to homemade diets to make them balanced and will help you formulate a diet for him. Here's a link to their website:
https://secure.balanceit.com/
Best of luck with your pup. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian