Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

15 kg dog ingested 90 mg brilinta. Mya, 7 years old.

Customer Question
15 kg dog ingested...

15 kg dog ingested 90 mg brilinta

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Mya, 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mya?

Typically healthy, overweight

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, this is Dr. Christie.

How long ago did your dog eat the medication?

Does your dog have any current medical problems or on any medication?

Also how much does your dog weigh?

Brilinta reduces the number of platelets in the body so bleeding is a concern. I couldn't locate any toxicology studies in dogs for Brilinta but the acute single-dose studies in mice and rats showed that ticagrelor (Brilinta) was well-tolerated. No deaths were observed following administration of up to 2,000 mg/kg (550 times the times the recommended human daily dose on a mg/kg basis). The primary observation noted at higher doses in rats was a transient body weight loss.

I would recommend inducing vomiting in Mya to remove the medication from her stomach if she has ingested it recently. This can be done by administering hydrogen peroxide, 1 tablespoon per 30 lbs.

I would also call Pet Poison Hotline as they will likely have more information concerning this medication and dogs. Their number is(###) ###-####

This number will provide you access to a toxicologist and they can advise if Mya might need to go into your vet or not for supportive care.

Best wishes for Mya!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian