Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A few months back my dogs gums were bleeding and the vet…

Customer Question
A few months back...

A few months back my dogs gums were bleeding and the vet removed 4 teeth. Today they are bleeding badly again and I suspect she has lost another tooth. What can I do to stop the bleeding?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No, other than the gums she is fine. She is an old dog, 13 years old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you through this situation. I am working on a response right now.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I am assuming that you probably have a small breed dog. Most small breed dogs have terrible dental disease as they age and require annual dental care.

Anytime that you see blood especially on your dog or your child, it certainly gets a little worrisome. I would say though, that most oral bleeding stops pretty quickly even if you do nothing. It is very difficult for you to compress an area in the mouth where there is bleeding unless a pet is sedated.

I guess my first concern would be verifying that it was certainly a tooth that fell out and nothing more serious. Typically if a tooth falls out there shouldn't be a lot of bleeding and this usually resolves pretty quickly unless it can get irritated from eating or taking treats.

I think it is important to have her examined so that you can determine if there is anything else present in the mouth that is abnormal such as a mass.

For the time being, keep the area around her mouth as clean as possible so that she doesn't get a secondary skin infection from the moisture and bleeding. Provide some water to flush her mouth, and give it time. If the condition is not improving, then make an appointment with your veterinarian for an exam. Sounds like she might need to have things evaluated anyway.

I hope that helps, please let me know if I can clarify anything or if you have any other questions.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Just wondering if you have any questions. Hope all is going well.