Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was given Doxy for Lyme, Tramadol, Metacam, and

Garbapentine in the last two...
My dog was given Doxy for Lyme, Tramadol, Metacam, and Garbapentine in the last two months. He is up one day and down the next day. It is very frustrating. He's had shifting lameness, and weight loss. He recently began eating again and felt better for a few days, but today won't put weight on his rear right leg. He is three-legged, missing his front right leg from an accident as a puppy. He is 8 years old now. I have lost faith in my vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He doesn't respond in a way that would correspond to pain in the foot. He has no reaction to any pressure all the way up his leg.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Griffey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Griffey?
Customer: He has become very picky about what he eats again. This happened at the onset of his symptoms when he was diagnosed with Lyme. He lost ten pounds. He is a lab mix.
9/22/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If Griffey has lost nociception (deep pain perception) in his right hind leg there's either a peripheral neuropathy (major nerve(s) running into that leg have been damaged) or myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) present. This isn't consistent with Lyme and so I need to consider degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the blood supply to his spinal cord), or a tumor in or around his spinal cord or involving the nerves running into that hind leg. Prgamaticall speaking, a three-legged dog needs to respond to conservative therapy in the form of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. Surgical decompression of the spinal cord is recommended if spinal cord compression can be documented by either X-rays or MRI but this shouldn't be a consideration in a three-legged dog. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have considered that it could be an issue with his back, however, why would it come and go? He still shakes off water and leaves off of his body like normal. Would that be inconsistent with a slipped disk? Two days ago he was eating like normal and exercising, now today he can't put any weight on a rear leg and he won't eat canned food (he usually licks the bowl clean). This has been the theme for two months: good days and bad days. Also, is there a non-surgical option for a slipped disk if that is what is wrong? Thanks for your response.

A lot of us and dogs suffer from intermittent "nerve pinches" which is likely to represent dorsal nerve root impingement by a bulging disk. This is called a "root signature" and sciatic pain ("sciatica") is a good example of such a sign. Yes, alternative therapies such as acupuncture and cold laser can be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian