Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Toy poodle 5 yrs has bad smelling flatulance he is used to…

Customer Question
Toy poodle 5 yrs...

Toy poodle 5 yrs has bad smelling flatulance he is used to having a little raw meat 3 times a week plus other meals of boiled ckicken wings ,without bones, but have noticec his flatulance is bad.is there any detox to smell as in charcoal!as we have , thankyou.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the toy poodle's name?

Louie Pierre RUSSELL

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louie?

No checked often,all injections up to date, just embarrassing when in company as he is house dog to look after me,whi h he does with lots of love.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about your dog's flatulent hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a reply but I'd like to help if I can.

Flatulence is a normal process for many dogs just like it is for humans and is the result of gas production in the intestinal tract.

The source of this gas may be secondary to air that has been swallowed (when a dog drinks or eats), the digestion process itself, gas diffused from the bloodstream or gases produced by bacteria in the intestinal tract.

The largest percentage of gases which are produced are odorless; those which aren’t are typically those which contain hydrogen sulfide.

Whether there’s an excessive amount of gas or not, there's are likely to be several possible explanations for its production:

1. High fiber diet. Just like humans, some dogs don't tolerate certain ingredients in their food very well. Dietary fiber is not readily digestible by the dog’s enzymes but is readily digested by the gas-producing bacteria of the colon. As these fibers are broken down, gases are produced.

2. Rapid ingestion of air when dogs eat or drink rapidly.

There are several strategies which can help to prevent this production of gas:

1.Feed smaller meals several times daily instead of one larger daily meal.

2. I'm not certain if he's being fed any commercial dog food or not, but feed a mixture of dry and canned foods

3. Discourage rapid eating by placing an over-turned small bowl inside the pet's regular food bowl. This prevents the pet from taking such a large mouthful. There’s also bowls such as BrakeFast which are designed to slow down the eating process.

4. Avoid soy and peas in the diet.

5. Avoid any treats or foods containing milk, cheese or other forms of lactose.

6. Avoid fresh or dried fruit treats.

7. If possible, walk him within 30 minutes of eating so as to encourage passing of gases outside.

9. Avoid canned foods containing the texturing ingredient carrageenan.

Treatment options include the following:

1.Probiotics such as Forti Flora which is specifically designed for canines. It’s available at many pet stores or online.

2. Products with Simethicone in them such as human Gas-X or Phazyme. Dose is somewhat empiric but about 1/4th-1/2 of what a human would take.

3. Yucca shidigera supplementation which can help reduce the odor of flatulence. It’s available on the internet as a canine product.

4. Zinc Acetate supplementation; the zinc can help decrease the odor since it binds to sulfhydryl compounds. Dose would be 1/2 mg per pound of body weight once a day

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb