Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog hacks like if he has a fur ball in throat. has eye…

Customer Question
My dog hacks like...

My dog hacks like if he has a fur ball in throat. has eye discharge is always thirsty doesn't eat his dry food but still eats canned food and treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucky 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lucky

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There appears to be moe than one thing going on in Lucky which isn't unusual at his advanced age.

While any age dog can cough (hack) due to a simple respiratory infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), I need to consider more dire causes of coughing in an 11 year such as congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, pneumonia, heartworm disease, and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. I wouldn't hesitate to have **** vet carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Lucky's chest at your earliest convenience. I find that sending these older coughing dogs home with an antibiotic instead of promptly X-raying them is a mistake too often made by veterinarians.

Drinking more than usual (always thirsty/polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys; diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism - all three will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level – often due to lymphoma), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Lucky's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian