Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 2 months old and has fleas what is a great way to get…

Customer Question
She is 2 months...

She is 2 months old and has fleas what is a great way to get rid of them?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Faith

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Faith?

I just got her tonight

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Faith.

Congratulations on your new puppy. Fleas can be terribly troublesome.

The safest and most effective thing to do for Faith tonight is to give her a bath with Dawn dish soap.

Do you have other pets?

The Dawn will kill any fleas that are on her body. Unfortunately, if she has been roaming around your house tonight, she may have dropped fleas/flea eggs into your home.

Cleaning any areas that she was in thoroughly (vacuuming, sweep/mopping) will be essential to controlling any fleas from spreading and multiplying in your home.

As long as she is 8 weeks old, she is old enough to start a monthly flea/tick preventive. My preferred product is Nexgard, an oral, monthly chewable.

If you have other pets, I recommend that they be on flea/tick preventive monthly as well. Once the fleas are in your home it will take 3 months of diligent preventives on the pets and treatment of the home to control to flea population.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian