Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

MY 10 WEEK PUPPY HAS HERNIA IN HER GROIN WHY DOES THIS

Customer Question
MY 10 WEEK PUPPY...

MY 10 WEEK PUPPY HAS HERNIA IN HER GROIN WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

BELLA

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about BELLA?

SHE WAS VERY TINY COULD THIS BE WHY SHE WAS VERY PLAYFUL EATING WELL

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Bella. Just a moment while I type my response.

What breed is she?

Do you know if she was the smallest (runt) of the litter?

No her brother also very small but he passed away

Hernias happen due to a weakening of the body wall, which allows the tissues from inside the abdomen to pouch out. The most common in puppies is an umbilical (belly button) hernia, but inguinal (groin) hernias can occur as well.

Small hernias do not usually cause any problems, and are often left untreated.

Large (or inguinal/groin) hernias should be repaired surgically, because there is a risk that the abdominal contents inside the hernia sac could become damaged or strangulated. Strangulation of intestinal loops can cause blood flow restriction to the intestine, intestinal blockage, etc. Strangulated hernias can become life-threatening; signs can include a large, warm hernia sac; vomiting; abdominal pain; lack of appetite; and depression. Radiography or ultrasonography may be necessary to help diagnose a strangulated hernia.

As long as the hernia isn’t causing problems for the puppy/kitten, the hernia repair surgery can be delayed until the scheduled spay. However, if strangulation occurs, the surgery becomes an emergency procedure.

The exact cause of congenital umbilical hernias is unknown, but it is generally thought to be a hereditary condition.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Denise Cudiamat

Hi, it's Dr. Denise. How is Bella doing? Are there any other questions I can answer for you?