Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 10 month old Labradoodle has giardia. Her stools are…

Our 10 month...

Our 10 month old Labradoodle has giardia. Her stools are what we call puddle poop with slight blood. Her vet put her on Panacur and she has had 2 doses with NO improvement. She is also on Cerena for nausea. Would it hurt her to add Metrodiazole to this? Our 1 1/2 yr Labradoodle also has it and one dose has at least given her some form to the stool. The pup was so bad this a.m. she had no control until she was empty.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

We caught her drinking out of a planter with standing water. She is like a 4 year old child. Whatever she sees, it goes in her mouth. Most recently dirt. But the water is probably the culprit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chloe. The other dog is Molly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

We lost our Casey (our 10 1/2 Labradoodle) last September. Being miserable until January of this year, we found Chloe at a local breeder. She is what they call an Australian Labradoodle and they have a completely different chemistry than the other dog who is totally half poodle/half Labrador. She is spoiled beyond belief but the two dogs love each other. Chloe is still baby and goofy. And very sneaky. We know the water did it because my husband bought a wading pool for them (which they could only drink out of because these two water dogs wouldn't get in) which we did not change the water but every other day. As we live in a rural setting, we have all kinds of critters that visit us at night and may have also tasted the water. That was her first bout of gihardia in June. Molly caught it from Chloe, as she did this time.

9/22/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Chloe has been diagnosed with Giardia.

In short no, it will not hurt to give metronidazole with Panacur, and Cerenia.

The most effective treatment is to use Flagyl (Metronidazole) at a dose of 25 mg/kg or 12mgs per pound of body weight twice daily and Panacur (fenbendazole) at a dose of 50 mg/kg or 23mgs per pound once daily concurrently for 5 days.

Two treatments should be done 3 to 4 weeks apart.

You should also bathe your pup mid way and at the end of the 5 days of treatment to remove any possible cysts stuck on her coat.

The other concern is the environment. If there are streams, ponds or areas of standing water that is likely where she picked them up and could reinfect herself after treatment so access to those areas should be limited.

Here is a link to the Companion Animal Parasite Council's website page on giardia which is the definitive, most recent findings and recommendations on parasite control in dogs and cats:

http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendations/giardia

In some dogs with long term giardia we can see changes in gut bacteria, which only makes things worse. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can be added to her meals to help replace appropriate bacteria.

Best of luck with her treatment, please let me know if you have any further questions.

After each movement, her behind and all surrounding fur (which I trimmed very close to avoid contamination) is cleaned with special wipes from the vet. Her bath will be next week, as well as Mollys. Then a close trim all over. I did not know that she will need another treatment 3-4 weeks later. Maybe she could have had some left from the last bout. Thanks so much for the info. Both dogs are on probiotic anyway and the vet also gave me some pre-phenalin (spelling) 2 tabs /8 hrs after a movement.

I am glad that they are on a probiotic already, and that you are addressing possible recontamination by cleaning her after passing stools with wipes designed to clear the cysts.

Not all veterinarians do the second treatment, but in cases like your pups I definitely would!

I suspect that you mean pro-pectalin, which contains pectin (an absorbant) and kaolin (a topically acting antibiotic).

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian