Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hei he just ate peach pit, Max, 2 yold gad, 2 years old, I

Hei he just ate peach...
Hei he just ate peach pit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max, 2 yold gad
JA: How old is Max?
Customer: 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: I just gave him hydrogen peroxide
9/22/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Depending on your dogs size this is a potential foreign body obstruction so I would advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (to confirm dosage administered) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. Since no vomiting with the first dose it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the pit please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 2-3 pieces of bread now

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide. Luckily one peach pit will not have any toxicity, the primary concern is if <20 pounds this can be a potential obstruction....

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 2 tbsp hydr. Peroxyde 3 pct and he vomited 4 times adter that. Few small pcs of broken/cheeed peach pit came out

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

If he is a GSD then he likely is >50 pounds and with him vomiting up small pieces this indicates he did chew it to some degree. This really should be digested by your dog and should not be an issue. Continuing to induce vomiting while his stomach is empty will increase risk of stomach ulcers so I would not advise continuing to induce vomiting and follow the steps I listed as an added precaution. I suspect this will pass without incident within 24-48 hours

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is drinking water now. Ok gaveonly extra tbsp since he is 100 lbs dog and that is 10 tsp i.e 3.3 tbsp. He is very monile now and playing no nad signs. Will feed him some bresh later with dinner and follow yr instructions. Tks much

You are very welcome, let his stomach rest for a bit before feeding. Especially being a GSD with a sensitive stomach I am sure (at least mine always have one!)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We gave the bread with some meat he ate all with big appetite. He is acting normal so far may be he will be ok. He likes to chew so i think he pulverized that pit and the pieces i saw come out were smaller than a dime.

Great! Fingers crossed there are no issues for you both!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian