Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

I have golden retriever she has worse than diarrhea. It is

I have golden retriever she has worse than diarrhea. It is running out of her, her back legs and tail are covered in it. It is coming from her anus. What do I do what can I give her??????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Golden Retriever's name and age?
Customer: Daisy she is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: She is normally healthy, this just started and it is literally running out of her.

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Daisy.

I have a few questions to better understand her condition:

Did the diarrhea just start today?

Any vomiting?

Has she eaten anything outside her normal diet? (What is her normal diet?)

Is she currently taking any medications?

Any pre-existing conditions?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
She vomited this morning and did not eat, she did not eat dinner. Yes started today but has got extremely worse. Purina one. Her legs are cover in it, it's leaking from her bottom.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No medication an x no pre exciting
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I cannot afford the phone call

Thank you for that information.

It's ok, you can decline the phone call. I'm happy to help via text.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and soothe their stomach lining. They are quite safe and can be given for several days if necessary. I'd give one for at least 3-4 days.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting.

If there is no vomiting for 24 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her.

Then once the diarrhea resolves start mixing back in her regular diet slowly and convert her back over 3-4 days.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you!! Should I give her anything for diarrhea or just the pill for her tummy. She is pacing and making me nrevous

Because these symptoms have hit her so suddenly and severely, there is a chance that she is experiencing something more serious than simple GI upset, like pancreatitis. If the vomiting persists, the diarrhea doesn't stop or her appetite does not return by tomorrow, I recommend having her seen by her veterinarian. She will likely need diagnostic testing for pancreatitis and may need fluid therapy and medications for her vomiting and diarrhea.

It is controversial to give dogs diarrhea medication like Immodium. If she has a toxic bacteria in her GI tract, causing her GI tract to slow down may actually make her condition worse. If she is still having diarrhea tomorrow, her veterinarian can prescribe a more appropriate medication.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok she only vomited once, but I hear what your saying. Thank you very much for your time.

You are very welcome. I wish you both all the best.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Denise Cudiamat
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Replying back to your question i'm not gonna be charged for this to answer you back?????
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
We had to put her down!! �������� her uterus was infected and pouring out of her. She was really sick. Thank you for your help. You made her last night with us more comfortable. I am grateful for that. Thank you Denise.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this.

I know Daisy was a special member of your family and will be dearly missed. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is dearly missed, our hearts our broken and our little Irish Setter is having a difficult time with this. Daisy was her momma (Not bio) she took great care of her. Denise the pain is so deep!! ������

:( Your Setter will take some time to adjust to her new normal without her Daisy around. For some dogs, it can take a month to process their grief. Just give her extra love and comfort, as I'm sure you're doing with your human family as well.

If you feel that you'd like you might benefit from talking to someone as part of your grief process, here are a few options for you: http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/animal-lovers/grief-support/

I was a member of the CARE line at University and Illinois and can speak highly of the support you would receive if you choose to reach out.

Praying for you and your family in his tender time.