Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I give my current dog Vectra 3D for flea and tick

I give my current...
I give my current dog Vectra 3D for flea and tick prevention. I am buying a new pup and she has been given Nextguard as a flea and tick preventative. How long do I need to wait until I switch her over to the Vectra? I prefer Vectra because it also a mosquito preventative which Nextguard is not.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My dog's name Hudson and he is 7 years old and has been on Vectra 3D for at least 5 years. The new pup has no name yet, is 4 1/2 months old and was started on Nexguard already. How long do I have to wait before switching her to Vectra 3D?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Its in my typed message. Hudson 7 yrs old. Puppy is new has no name yet.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Puppy?
Customer: Yes, I just learned the puppy is MDR1 n/m and Ivermectin is not recommended for dogs with the mutant gene. Breeder has been giving her Heartguard (Ivermectin) without any problem. Wouldn't Interceptor be safer if she has the mutant gene? Does Ivermectin accumulate in the brain and eventually cause seizures?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Wits a young dog I would wait the 30 days to transition to the new flea and tick product.

As for the use of heartworm prevention if there is the MDR1 gene it would be less risk to use the interceptor but there is no cumulative effective of ivermectin. It goes through the system and will not accumulate over time. We see problems primarily when larger dosages are administered to these higher risk breeds, tests have been done up to five times the advised dose with only gi upset but when a horse dose is administered it certainly can cause neurologic symptoms in these dogs more than others

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, enjoy your new addition :)

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Hi Juliette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian