Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog Oakley decided to do some counter surfing while we

Hi, my dog Oakley decided...
Hi, my dog Oakley decided to do some counter surfing while we were at work today. He at 2 choc chip cookies, 2 raisin cookies and about 5 macadamia nut/white chocolate cookies. He is lethargic, but seems ok? Looks like he may have vomited at sometime during the day. Should we be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He is a 55 lb Catahoula Leopard dog and 1.5 years old.
9/22/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding your Catahoula.

Unfortunately, all three of those cookies can be toxic to dogs (Chocolate, Raisins and Macadamia nuts).

that is what I have been reading. Do we need to take him to emergency care?

I would recommend emergency care for him as ASPCA Animal Poison control recommends activated charcoal to absorb the toxins from all three ingredients.

For a dog his size, the chocolate ingestion will likely only cause vomiting/diarrhea.

The raisin toxicity (kidney disease) and macadamia nut toxicity (Depression, vomiting, weakness/stumbling), tremors, and hyperthermia) however can occur at low doses of these items.

I am not at home, but I let my husband know that he needs to take him in right away. What is the worst that could happen??

At best, ***** ***** have some GI symptoms (vomiting/diarrhea) and need some activated charcoal and supportive care.

With raisins, treatment for acute ingestion (e.g. induce vomiting, activated charcoal) followed by IV fluids at twice maintenance for 36-72 hours should be instituted for observed acute ingestion. Renal function should be monitored for several days. If there is no renal damage after 3 days, the animal will likely remain unaffected.

Also, not every dog or cat is susceptible - many animals can tolerate large quantities of grapes or raisins without problems. Nobody knows what the patient risk factors are (other than ingestion).

With macadamia nuts: The prognosis in most cases is extremely good as most dogs return to normal within 24 to 48 hours. Potential complications could be obstruction, pancreatitis, gastritis or enteritis.

Thank you. We are going to take him in right now. I thought we could maybe watch him tonight and see, but I don't want to take that risk.

I agree that is a great plan to take him in. He will most likely do very well, but there are so many unknowns with grape/raisin toxicity (how much is a toxic dose, which dogs will be susceptible) that it is worth have the intervention instead of waiting.

I wish you all the best!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much. I have no other questions, you've answered them all! Have a good night.
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian