Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe that she ate some poison. You know the packets…

Customer Question
I believe that she...

I believe that she ate some poison. You know the packets that come in purses and bags

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A terrier mixed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Did you see what the terrier ate?

Yes. the poison packet that sits at the bottom of bags when you purchase them that state do not eat

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

If you are referring to a silica gel pack (like the kind used to keep moisture out of things like beef jerky or dog treats), then you're in luck. They are not toxic, so any portion that she ate should pass with no problems. They have to put a disclaimer on the package so children do not eat it and choke on it. It has to be food safe since it is put in with jerky as well as other food sources.

The only think I would be concerned with is a blockage if your dog is a small breed dog and had ingested the entire packet but since that is not the case we should be just fine

Watch for vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal distress which can be signs of a blockage in the intestines if more was ingested than originally believed. If you see any of these signs, you need to get her to a vet for an x-ray and possible surgical removal of the packet. But since this seems to be a small amount ingested our concern for obstruction is very minimal...

If this is an iron packet it is potentially toxic. Elemental iron granules are placed in small packets called oxygen absorbers are added to bags of pre-prepared or dehydrated food stuffs to absorb excess oxygen. This prevents oxidization (rancidity) of the food and preserves freshness. Oxygen absorber packets are typically about 1×1” in size and are often found in packages of beef jerky, pepperoni, dried fruits, dog jerky treats, etc. If the oxygen absorber is broken open, dark brown to rust colored material is visible. This material is magnetic which allows for quick differentiation between packets containing iron and those containing silica gel or charcoal.

Elemental iron can cause severe poisoning, even in the small amounts contained in one oxygen absorber packet. It is very irritating to the GI tract and has direct corrosive effects. After ingestion, vomiting (with or without blood) is one of the first signs of poisoning. In fact, vomiting is such a common finding that if a dog does not vomit, it’s probable that a toxic dose was not ingested. If the dose is large enough to cause poisoning, severe metabolic acidosis, shock and hepatic toxicity can develop 1 -5 days after the exposure. At Pet Poison Helpline, the most severe cases of iron poisoning from oxygen absorbers have occurred in small dogs (<15 pounds).

If it is an iron packet inducing vomiting is not advised because it can do damage to the esophagus on the way up as well. So if this is a concern then please consider a veterinary er to give medications to help protect the intestinal tract and stomach from any issues and block absorption by administering activated charcoal orally

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both I am online another 20 minutes tonight

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog to see if she has had any issues after ingesting the packet yesterday? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!